Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

VS.NET - STOP REFORMATTING MY HTML

I *thought* I turned off this 'feature', but no matter what I do , VS.NET reformats my HTML. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Sassy
Thursday, April 15, 2004

This "Feature" will be removed in Whidbey.  Fat lot of good it does us now.  There is no turning it off.

Jason Watts
Thursday, April 15, 2004

I was a .NET users group meeting last and when Rob Howard commented that this "feature" will be removed in Whidbey, the audience applauded.

He joked that he can rattle of dozens of exciting new features about Whidbey, but it's fixing this problem that gets people to applaud!

Mark Hoffman
Thursday, April 15, 2004

Too bad MS won't fix all the annoying little bugs like that.  I can't count how many times in the last week I've had to restart VS because of the ubiquitous "Cannot copy assembly" error.

Joe Paradise
Thursday, April 15, 2004

If the new build engine for Whidbey is any indication, MS appears to be throwing away the code that doesn't work and rewriting it wholesale. I guess that's why we don't get any patches!

Chris Nahr
Friday, April 16, 2004

I heard from our local MS developer evangelist that the reason why VS.NET does the reformatting is because it uses the FrontPage engine and that the reason why it uses the FrontPage engine is so that it can implement IntelliSense. Thus, FrontPage is the price you pay for IntelliSense.

As someone mentioned, they've rewritten the IntelliSense engine so it doesn't rely on FrontPage. Reuse gone bad!

Bill Brown
Friday, May 07, 2004

If only there was *intellisense* when you are in the VS.NET IDE trying to edit a .config file.

I never can seem to remember the whole thing. And I tend to forget a character now and then, resulting in a useless runtime error (not even a compile time error) "server not responding."  huh?!

Wouldn't it be possible for MSFT to use an XSD to help with that?  Validate that xml for once!!

Sorry to hog the thread for my own tangential purpose.

mrcoder
Tuesday, May 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home