Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

64 bit .Net for AMD

I understand a 64 bit .Net will be released for beta this summer for 64 bit AMD processors.

Has anyone been involved in the beta or read anything about any anticipated speed improvements from port of the CLR to 64 bit? 

Does the CLR run faster on the Intel 64 bit chips.  They are way more expensive than the AMD but I'd hope that the AMD port would see similar results.

Does anyone know if this project is still on schedule? I heard that Longhorn has slipped back a year to 2006.

I am needing to plan for some server upgrades in the fall on a .Net application that eats tons of CPU in a text processing application and I'd like budget for AMD boxes if possible.

Gary Miller
Monday, April 05, 2004

Get AMD64s anyway. The price difference is minimal, not much more than plain old 32 bit, and it's not as if you can't run 32bit stuff on them until 64bit platforms arrive. Unlike Intels chips they aren't slower when it comes to 32bit code, they're just faster at 64... hehe

Andrew Cherry
Monday, April 05, 2004

64-bit .NET is not tied to Longhorn. Its release is tied to Visual Studio 2005 and what most presume will be called .NET 2.0 (although it's currently numbered 1.2).

The current Whidbey bits support 64-bit AMD CPUs. I believe you can expect better performance out of 64-bit AMD CPUs than the Itanium, because the optimization technology (and knowledge) is much much greater for x86.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, April 05, 2004

".NET 2.0 (although it's currently numbered 1.2)."

So Microsoft really is copying Java -- right down to the version numbering!

Almost Anonymous
Wednesday, April 07, 2004

actually, unless you are dong alot of 64 bit math, compiling to 64 bit processors will probably slow down the code due to the increase in data size, pointer size, etc. 
see:
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=112

Most programs don't need the values ouside the -2billion to 2billion range anyways, though obviously there are definately fields like scientific simulations and possibly large scale databases that could use it everywhere.

I would bet that MS's .NET code generation will take this into account, and it won't turn everything 64 bit, they will only select items that need it.  MS produces good compilers, even if it did take them until 7.1 to get partial template specialization.  ;-)

Tito
Wednesday, April 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home