Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Session Management

I have a search page with several text boxes, check boxes, etc.  When the user clicks "Search", matching results are displayed; each result has a link to a detail page.

I would like a way to have the state of the search page controls restored when the user navigates back to the search page (i.e., not via the "Back" button).

I guess I'm looking for Session-flavored view state functionality without having to explicitly read and write to Session the contorl state.  I'm hoping there is something built in to ASP.Net that handles this.

steved
Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Steved, well if you aren't gonna use Session that basically means writing your own or using a 3rd party add-on. What are your reasons for avoiding it? Is it because you already have a system in place (a lot of systems pre ASP.NET uses their own "improved" sessions)? Compatibility with legacy systems (with the right magic sessions can be shared between ASP.NET and ASP)? You might have to elaborate.

Li-fan Chen
Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Li-fan: I intend to use Session.  I was just hoping there was a built-in way to make the control state be written to Session.

In the same way that view-state handles the hassle of control values for a post-back I'd like something to handle control state in Session.

steved
Thursday, March 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home