Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

LAMP

Hi, I hope I am not being too much of a heretic starting a thread about Linux+Apache+Mono+Postgresql.

I have just gotten a basic setup going with

Linux: Fedora Core 1 (yarrow)
Apache: Apache 2.0.48  (RedHat RPM)
Mono: Mono Version 0.30.2, (Ximiam Fedora RPMs) +mod_mono 0.7 (Ximiam Fedora RPMs)
Postgres: This is question mark..

I have some simple asp.net pages going in C#, I was wondering how I should proceed from here?

I prefer PostgreSQL and wondering how many have had success writing stored procedures in Mono and which library to use to let mono's asp.net access PG. By default it seems to use Mono.Data.PostgresSqlClient, is that the way to go with the latest Postgres?

Which version of Postgres works pretty well with mono? I don't want to go bleeding edge if it's going to crap out. Thanks for any advice.

Li-fan Chen
Sunday, March 07, 2004

I have read that mono's ASP.NET craps out under heavy load.

I don't have any experience with this myself, but I'm interested in hearing how it works out for you, if you get it up and running.

Matt Conrad
Sunday, March 07, 2004

Conrad I would be interested in which articles explores mod_mono / mono's performance under heavy loads, I can't find too many myself. I don't know if enough attention is being paid to mod_mono to make it scalable or how big the mod_mono team is, I am just trying it out. If I run into any load problems I will have to find some sort of solution (maybe run an apache-based load balancer or some dedicated load balancer). Thanks for that heads up, any more information regarding this issue would be most appreciated.

Li-fan Chen
Monday, March 08, 2004

Sorry, I meant to refer to you as Matt..

Li-fan Chen
Monday, March 08, 2004

Well, another weekend well wasted, I manage to use the Npgsql "provider/driver" to connect to db. Able to do prepared commands. Able to do connected selects. It's a good start. Will do what I can to test it.

Li-fan Chen
Monday, March 08, 2004

It was on the go-mono.com website only a few weeks ago.  I don't find it now, though.  If you're worried I'd ask on the mailing list.

Matt Conrad
Monday, March 08, 2004

I thought LAMP stands for:
Linux
Apache
MySQL
PHP

N'est-ce pas?

bobby
Friday, March 19, 2004

;) I am abusing the acrynum. Let's see if function overloading works in this case.

Li-fan Chen
Monday, March 22, 2004

the "p" is for perl/python/php

Matthew Lock
Thursday, April 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home