Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

So, we're going to .NET (Delphi, C# content)

Dear Readers,

I'm a programmer at a small vertical market software company.  Our company's main product is written in Delphi.  For better or worse, we've decided to move our product(s) to .NET.  We've been Delphi developers since 1.0.

The simple, obvious choice is to continue development with Delphi 8 for .NET, so that we can leverage our existing Delphi knowledge and experience.

Question: Can anyone tell me why it would be better to use C# (ie. Borland's C# Builder or MS Visual Studio) instead?

DelphiGuru
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Asking the question as a company, you should stick with Delphi.

Asking the question as an individual, having C# experience can't hurt when you're in the hunt for your next job.

Of course, any intelligent hiring person is going to know that the majority of the value in being a .NET programmer is knowing the libraries, and the particular syntax of a language (Delphi vs. C# vs. VB.NET vs. ...) is of almost no consequence.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

>Question: Can anyone tell me why it would be better to >use C# (ie. Borland's C# Builder or MS Visual Studio) >instead?

You could argue that Microsoft will continue to be in business for as long as any of us will be alive.  Borland seems to be doing well, but it is no Microsoft and might one day disappear.

Also, you have the option of upgrading your application to Delphi.net, then writting all of your new features in C#.  As time goes on your application would be less Delphi and more C#...

Len Weaver
Thursday, February 26, 2004

don't forget decompiling. try it out--write something in delphi.net or vb.net or C#. then load the assembly with reflector and ask for your code back in vb.net or c#.

may not be useful for real coding, but for someone to understand what you've done it could be very useful. you could even write a delphi decompiler and generate delphi with C#.

mb
Monday, March 01, 2004

One thing to think about: A Delphi 8 exe is no longer stand-alone. The single biggest reason we use Delphi (7) right now.

Joel S
Monday, March 01, 2004

Any future changes to the .NET framework will always leave borland playing catch up.  I'm a delphi programmer as well, but for the .NET platform you're best bet is to bite the bullet and learn C#/MS Visual Studio. 

As for C#Builder, this is not their bread and butter so who knows how long borland will continue supporting it.  You don't want to be caught like one of those poor saps who were using Kylix, C++Builder, Delphi 7 and had the rug pulled out from under them. 

If you like going on the Borland rollercoaster ride then by all means stick with Delphi.NET.

Cletus
Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Delphi 8 sucks, wait for 9....don't all the Delphi products work better in the odd numbered releases?

3 good, 4 bad, 5 good, 6 bad, 7 good, 8 bad....

Yo
Wednesday, March 03, 2004

You're thinking Star Trek movies, and it's "even good, odd bad". :-p

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

Borland operates on different wavelength.  All of their odd releases have been good ones (1,3,5 have been the best), whereas the even ones are cursed :)

Cletus

Yea I'v also been a Delphi fan since version 2...i still try and develop in delphi where i can, iv been using c# for about a year and a half now and its a very solid language, i strongly believe that as long as borland are playing catchup its going to be very difficult for them, also you could use sharpdevelop and webmatrix to do devlopment in c# for free. I remember buying D6 enterprise and it is a good product, i still get my team to develop webservices in delphi since I feel its quicker to do this. I guess Borland honestly are going to be in big trouble since there are now free based tools(the ones i mentioned above) to do commercial development. I love delphi I always have and still do but its going to be very tough unless they start going the open source route...

Nite
Wednesday, March 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home