Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Latest MS Patch breaking ASP.NET?

Is it just me or has the latest patch from Windows Update caused ASP.NET applications to break with the "Server Application Unavailable" message?

We have had 3 dev servers in the last week stop working around the time the patch was installed.

Matthew Lock
Sunday, February 15, 2004

Actually looking at the Event Viewer this is the error it reports:

Description:
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is 80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

Matthew Lock

Just for the record this posting on Google Groups fixes this issue http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5BCBD891-1F7D-465E-9C7D-5F6BA219F25F%40microsoft.com&oe=utf-8&output=gplain

Matthew Lock

Thanks Matt!  We were having this issue on a 2K and no luck figuring out what the problem was though we had noticed it began after we applied the patch.

Alex Aguilar
Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Cheers for this tip. My ASP.NET had broken and I've spent hours looking for a reason.

Think ASP.NET need to update their web site as i have the problem with v1.1 and xp pro and they specifically say it wouldn't.

Cheers once again.

zac
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

I have also a win 2k Advance Server and I have the same issue.

Ionel

Ionel Catanoiu
Monday, March 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home