Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

code execution speed in ASP .NET

Has anybody tested the speed of ASP .NET C# code execution?

I am writing an ASP .NET application in which I have to do A LOT of processing.

Does it make sense to write the interface in C# ASP .NET, and to write the heavy processing as a Windows .EXE written in C#?

The .EXE could run as a CGI under IIS and return results into my ASP .NET application.

Is there a difference between the speed of C# code compiled as Windows/WinForms .EXE and the speed of C# code compiled as ASP .NET?

George
Friday, February 13, 2004

any C# code you write for an asp.net web app will be compiled and running on the server. It will not make any speed difference between calling a seperate exe and just putting the code in a component.

If it is a multi-user app, I would suggest you encapsulate the logic that requires long processing times, and then you can thread that portion. this will keep your web interface snappy and allow the server to manage resources better.

fooMan
Friday, February 13, 2004

You might want to look into something like System.Messaging, which wraps MSMQ, if you're talking about really lengthy processing times. This'll allow you to have a little status window on your page that can be updated when the processing is done.

shawn
Tuesday, February 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home