Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Windows Forms Book Recommendation

Could anyone recommend a good Windows Forms Programming Book that has code samples in C#?

I have a background in developing Web Apps and need a good place to start learning about Win Form app development on the .NET platform.

Ben
Tuesday, September 24, 2002

I'd recommend the book "Windows Forms Programming with C#", by Erok Brown, Manning Publications, http://www.manning.com/eebrown/index.html

I think it's well written, to the point, and gives you (IMO) quite a good introduction to what "serious app" developing with Windows Forms is like.

Also, the book's support forums are lively, and the author seems to be around quite a lot of the time :)

But, of course, that is only an opinion. I'd love to hear someone else's.

Disclaimer: I should add I was involved in the reviewing of the book before its release, so I might be biased. But that also means I've read it quite thoroughly ;)

Javier Jarava

I strongly recommend "Programming Microsoft Windows With C#" by Charles Petzold.  It gives a thorough grounding in the fundamentals of the Windows Forms engine, just like his previous books did for the Windows API.

Craig

What about Developing C# Windows Software by Wrox, it's pretty high on my list, anyone got it and hate it/love it?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/186100737X/ref=cm_wl_ovu-pg.1-pos.2/002-0027060-3794450?coliid=I3PBOJG6POIKHU

Ben

I've looked at that one. It's pretty elementary - you'll find most of the content in that book well-covered in the Windows Forms QuickStart Tutorial from the Framework SDK. If you want a set of hands-on exercises, it's probably worth having.

Mike Gunderloy

Petzold's book has a heavy emphasis on graphics. AFAIR it doesn't even mention the DataGrid control and there is no architectural guidance (such as how DataSets can be best utilised in a Windows application).

If you're doing the kind of apps that most VB6-programmers do/did (forms based, data centric), Petzold's book is almost worthless to you. Unfortunately, I don't know of a better one. If you're going to be doing more lowlevel graphical stuff and custom printing, you'll like it (if you liked the previous editions of Programming Windows).

This is a specialized book, not an alround WinForms book. Check it out in a bookstore (and read *all* the reviews on Amazon, not just the 5-star ones) before buying.

Povl
Wednesday, September 25, 2002

Obviously I can be said to be biased but I and most reviewers think that Mathew MacDonald books from Apress (available in both C# and VB .NET) version strike the right balance  - see http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590590449/qid=1033979962/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-9595076-3771869?v=glance)
between completeness and useability. While I love Petzold, his Windows Form book is probably a bit *too* much being about 1600 pages.

Gary Cornell
Monday, October 07, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home