Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

.Net Speed optimization books

I have purchased my share of Java optimization books for high performance programming (network layer 4 software, web accelerators, nothing exciting). I was just wondering if the same is coming out for .Net? Especially interesting to me are three topics:

1) advanced threading or job distribution techniques;

2) how to shave unnecessary overhead in terms of object live-time/garbage collection/16bit UNICODE when you just need 8bit/etc etc etc.

3) advanced memory/file/network access options by either using research libraries or accessing windows 2000/2003 apis.

If you know of such books please leave a note, your help is much appreciated!

-- David

Li-fan Chen
Monday, January 26, 2004

I am going to answer my own question: there are no books--as far as I can tell (doing a query on Amazon).

That doesn't mean you can't write amazingly fast software, you can. You just have to do the research yourself. There will be no spoon feeding.

Li-fan Chen
Monday, January 26, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590591410/qid%3D1075216854/102-7995760-8883311
has gotten good reviews.  We have a copy on the way, but I haven't read it yet.

Ted Graham
Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Thanks Ted! :-) Another question I have is secure programming, I know there's Secure Programming from Addison-Wesley (C++) and Secure Code from MS Press, but are there any books specific to improving web security in ASP.Net and general security and cryptography with .Net framework?

Li-fan Chen
Tuesday, January 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home