Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

I need an idea for a project

Something that will be semi-worthwhile, for at least a few people, where I'll have to learn most of the features of asp.net programming.

Any recommendations?

Friday, January 16, 2004

nobody?  Doesn't have to be original.  I was thinking something boring along the lines of a store manager similar to yahoo, but I thought you guys might have something better.

Friday, January 16, 2004

hmm, seems lots of folks here are clamoring for a rich edit control to replace <textarea>.

Ankur
Sunday, January 18, 2004

Or an HTML rendering engine! Fully standards compliant up to CSS2 full support of course... Heh, sadly i'm only joking, although if you do write one, let me know!

I've a few ideas for things which I don't have the time to develop, ranging from the very small to the Microsoft-crushing, so it depends on what size and difficulty you're looking for really... Get in touch if you like! You can use the contact form on here if you felt like...

Andrew Cherry
Sunday, January 18, 2004

Take one of the open-source ASP.Net Forums projects (such as http://www.asp.net/forums), and integrate it with one of the open-source blog applications such as dasBlog or .Text.  If you're feeling particularly adventurous, there are a few portal or community starter kits to create a full-on solution.

If all else fails, you'll get a look at some well-written code.

Greg Hurlman
Monday, January 19, 2004

Hi, what kind of free time are you looking at?

I think if you are going to make it open source and place it on sourceforge.net at the end of the day maybe you can be a bit more ambicious and make it long term. If you just need it for practice and aim for something you can do in 2 weeks.

Some ideas that would be very cool (and relatively brief):

1. Messaging utility:

2 weeks - mailing list managers, (requires knowledge of Exchange)

Help small business keep their customers notified of late breaking product updates.

5 days -  Alerters that uses pagers or cell that can monitor trigger keywords in Outlook (Outlook 2000+ Object model, CDONTS, SMS, SMTP);

so if you say #PAGEME#call doctor#PAGEME# in a reminder, it will get queued up in the SMS alerter, or whatever better design you are sure to come up with.

2. File system utility:

A simple tool that will let you right click on a folder, and automatically 1) split large files, 2) MD5 digest it, 3) zip it, 4) encrypt it, 5) sign it, 6) add archive description to db.. 7) send it to a user-provided destination.

5 days - for a simple VB.Net/asp.net glue ware.

2 weeks - for a pipeline framework editor where each of these are optional stages.

These are tools I would write at one time or another if I find time.

Li-fan Chen
Tuesday, January 27, 2004

You could create a client to client file server, like Napster, but have it free, without SpyWare, and with little publicity, so the feds don't find it.

Matt
Tuesday, March 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home