Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

.net. Is it meant to be bare bones?

Hi,

I have been using VS.NET since the beta's. I come from a database application background mainly in the xbase languages (clipper, dbase etc..)

Am I the only one that thinks that VS.NET isn't finished and that some of the frameworks are a bit too bare bones.

For example:

1) Where is the dot net masked edit control. An absolute must for database applications?

2) ADO.NET. I have never seen such a verbose and complicated data layer in my life.

Borlands IDE's come with all manner of controls out of the box.

Was it Microsofts intention to leave it all to other developers?

Mike Grace
Monday, December 15, 2003

Apparently so. .NET is really a replacement for the Win32 SDK and MFC, it's not intended as a construction kit for specific applications.

MS has announced additional controls for .NET 2.0 but I do think that click & go creation of database frontends and the like will be left to other vendors.

Chris Nahr
Tuesday, December 16, 2003

'I do think that click & go creation of database frontends and the like will be left to other vendors.'

I would argue the contrary.  They (MS) seem to put a lot of effort into being able to do things like drag tables from the data explorer thingie to a form and have that generate a form.

Traditionally, MS has left a niche for third party control vendors by neglecting things like masked edit controls, a better-than-servicable grid control, etc.

Rick Childress

"...I come from a database application background mainly in the xbase languages..."

Well, .NET is designed to build quite a bit more than just database front-ends.

Re. ADO.NET -- the issue here is that it's designed as a disconnected API so there are no cursors, and the backend database system can be pretty much anything, so it needs to be relatively generic.

Duncan Smart

I've been using Infragistics data aware controls since VB3 (back then they were known as Sheridan).  They really are excellent - the Grid in particular has built in support for sorting by column, in cell drop downs, graphics, etc.

I've stayed with them because the controls, over time, have offered a good "best pratices" approach to current MS data access technologies.

The current suite is even ink enabled!

They offer a "no limits" timed demo w/nag dialogs at:

http://www.infragistics.com/

John Murray
Wednesday, December 17, 2003

I am using the Component One enterprise suite instead of the ADO.NET stuff. It makes data access so much easier.

Mike grace
Thursday, December 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home