Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Death of VB.Net

I was recently told that is a body of opinion that VB.Net will, at some point, disappear. That is, C#.Net is more likely to go the distance than VB.Net, and thus anyone choosing a MS language to play with should choose C#.Net.

I had never come across this opinion until today - anyone wish to comment?

Joel Goodwin
Sunday, October 26, 2003

They are adding some features to VB.Net in the next version of VS.NET codenamed Whitbey so I don't think we will see VB.Net dissappearing.

http://www.davidmcnamee.com/permalink.aspx/aa4eea30-5f4e-4588-9e8e-ce09f7aaf50c

Ben
Sunday, October 26, 2003

If VB were really going to disappear, the first version of .NET would have been the best place to begin leaving it out.

Kyralessa
Monday, October 27, 2003

A simple comment on the original rumor: horseshit.

Mike Gunderloy
Monday, October 27, 2003

Agreed. It's horseshit.

Microsoft has stated that they are committed to not only keeping both languages alive, but moving them apart with more differentiators in the future.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, October 27, 2003

Thanks for the replies. I was a bit surprised by the assertion that VB.Net was yesterday's language somehow, as I had never come across anything to support that kind of proposition. Ah, well....

Joel Goodwin
Monday, October 27, 2003

I've heard that opinion almost since .Net was introduced.

The reasoning is that VB.Net has a different syntax from VB6 so learning VB.Net is almost like learning a different language. So, if you're going to learn a different language, why not learn a real one? (C#)

Clutch Cargo
Monday, October 27, 2003

The point of the whole .NET effort is to leave legacy behind. Moreso with VB.

The retrofitting of VBscript to VB was a feat. The retro fitting of vb.Net script to VB.NET (variant become object etc) is nothing short of brilliant.

Karel
Tuesday, October 28, 2003

The differences between C# and VB.NET are so small, I think I benefit more from coding in C#.

Thomas Eyde
Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Paul Vick, one of the language designers of VB.NET, hears this one all the time.  For his response, check out his blog: www.panopticoncentral.net.

Eric Lippert
Monday, November 03, 2003

bullshit

shankar satijani
Saturday, November 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home