Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Want to learn DotNet - any fund or grants?

I really would like to learn .Net and have noticed a lot of great .Net cources here in UK but it is so expensive (£7,186 = 8 courses).

Isn't there any funds or grants for people like me who really want to learn .Net but can't afford the 7000£

Want_to_learn_.Net
Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Download the .NET Framework SDK. Total cost: free + download time. There are a whole bunch of tutorials and samples in there to get you started.

Mike Gunderloy

I have already downloaded the framwork and programmed some small programms but I would like to go to the next level.

I really like to take some courses and learn from the masters.
So I would like to know wheather there are some grants or funds for people like me who want to study .Net

I will definately spread the word about .net and help other people learning .Net - but need some support to get to that level.

Want_to_learn_.Net

There are almost no "masters" of .NET. You certainly won't be learning from any of them in courses in England, I'm afraid to say. If you want to learn what the few masters have to say, buy their books.

If you can't teach yourself with a compiler and a book, you don't have much future in this industry. It moves too fast to be reliant upon being taught (and you'd go broke).

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

>> "£7,186 = 8 courses"

Why on earth do you think you need to do 8 courses? I used to train the MS 'Official Curriculum' - and it was of pretty variable quality. You may be better off trying out the DevelopMentor guys: http://www.develop.com/uk/ They tend to be very bright and are active in the .NET community. Do one course (say one of their 'Guerilla' courses) and do the rest of the learning yourself. If you can only learn from courses - then you're not going to get very far.

MS themselves also put on plenty of free seminars around the UK, especially at the MS Campus in Reading, check out
http://www.microsoft.co.uk/events/msehome.asp -- but the ones I've seen are pretty yawnsome slideshows from clueless marketing types.

Duncan Smart
Wednesday, October 22, 2003

I would like to get the MCSD .NET.
Yes perhaps I will start with one course but it is a lot cheaper if you buy many courses instead of one each time.

I cannot only learn from courses but I think that would be great starting point for me. I also read a lot of books so I am learning that way also.

My main question is still unanswered - are there any funds or grants for learning .Net?

Want_to_learn_.Net

"are there any funds or grants for learning .Net? "

No.

rz

How about looking into 'career development loans' -- the DfES pays the interest while you're not working.

Duncan Smart
Thursday, October 23, 2003

If you want to learn from the real masters, read the best of the best:

1.- Applied .Net Framework Programming, Jeffrey Ritcher

2.- The C# Programming Language, Andrew Troelsen (Optional)

3.- Winforms Programming in C#, Chris Sells

4.- Essential .NET, Don Box (a little hard to read)

5.- Advanced .NET Remoting, Ingo Rammer

6.- COM and .NET The complete interoperability guide, Adam Nathan

All of them are must-read books and very well written.

I haven't read many ASP.NET books though.

Another C# developer

Essential ASP.NET - Fritz Onion

Duncan Smart

Look for a college or "continuing education" program or some such that includes .NET in the curriculum.  Then look into grants or funds that help you go to college.

Or do what everyone else does...buy ten books (at $50 a pop, that's $500, still a lot less than your course) and learn on your own.

Kyralessa
Friday, October 24, 2003

4.- Essential .NET, Don Box (a little hard to read)

Honestly I think Box is one of the worst writers ever. He seems smart but his communication skills are abysmal.

Clutch Cargo
Friday, October 24, 2003

call me. I'll charge a reasonable fee. Courses material (.NET sdk, link to gotdotnet, etc will be provided). I'll get you to install sdk and work through it.

1-800-.NETkicks-ass

Microsoft all time fan, yeah right!
Friday, October 24, 2003

"Honestly I think Box is one of the worst writers ever. He seems smart but his communication skills are abysmal. "

I agree on the lack of communication skills, but his book contains material that is quite hard to find documentation about.

Another C# developer
Saturday, October 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home