Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

PDF to Gif or Jpg?

Anyone know the best way to convert a Pdf file to a gif or jpg? My partner the programmer did some extensive reading on PDF to Image solution.  Microsoft doesn't include PDF manipulation as part of their .NET library.  The libraries he read about were the ones for crystal reports, and they won't do what we need.  Almost no company offers this type of PDF conversion without a printdriver, let alone in a .NET managed assembly. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Todd Gordner
Tuesday, October 14, 2003

ghostscript might be able to handle this. i wouldn't expect anything from Microsoft, PDF is an Adobe format and Office has its own similar (conceptually) format.

for that matter i wouldn't expect anything beyond a command-line driven tool. perfectly automatable mind you, just not a .NET friendly class, you'll have to write a wrapper.

a quick search on 'ghostscript pdf tiff' turns up some interesting starting points. as does pdf2tiff.

mb

There are a bunch of third party .NET PDF components.  See here:
http://asp.net/ControlGallery/default.aspx?Category=10&tabindex=2

SomeBody

I'm curious why you'd want to convert a PDF to an image?

I can't think of any programs that do this...

On the subject of PDFs, I liked to plug ActivePdf by cete software.  I've used it in the past and had good luck.  It's reasonably priced, there is a .NET version, and the authors are responsive to your email.

Guy Incognito
Friday, October 17, 2003

Whoops... CeTe makes DynamicPdf, not ActivePdf (I've used both).

http://www.cete.com/

Guy Incognito
Friday, October 17, 2003

To be honest though, I'm waiting to see what PDF support Microsoft includes in the next version of SQL Server Reporting Services.

Jeez, what doesn't Microsoft make?

Guy Incognito
Friday, October 17, 2003

I'm not sure that MS will bother supporting PDF in SQL Reporting, although it'd be nice...

Duncan Smart
Saturday, October 18, 2003

Microsoft has a competitor to PDF, that ships with Office 2003.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Saturday, October 18, 2003

yes, i'll repeat myself and say to look to what ghostscript can do for you. it's probably that or some adobe product. or maybe something from elcomsoft. microsoft is a competitor to adobe and thus probably won't have any tools themselves.

you're effectively 'printing' PDF to bitmap. so a print driver isn't even an irrational thing.

mb
Sunday, October 19, 2003

Thanks for your help on the conversion from PDF to Gif or Jpg! We were able to find software called PSservices from a company called Apago that did a great job. http://www.apago.com

The reason we wanted to do this is we are using a merging engine that is PDF in PDF out. We are building a printing application that will allow the user to pick from many templates: business cards, letterheads, etc and we want them to have a instant preview along with the ability to download the pdf.

Thankyou!

Todd Gordner
Monday, October 20, 2003

Why not have the preview be in PDF?

David Burch
Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Hi,
Just a quick plug for BCL: they also have a PDF to Image tool, which is also available as a COM object for .NET (www.bcltechnologies.com)

Che
Friday, March 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home