Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

GotDotNet Workspaces - SorceForge-like...

GotDotNet Workspaces - SorceForge-like online collaborative development environment is now up in beta at  http://www.gotdotnet.com/community/workspaces/

There has been some hulabaloo about the licensing terms -people going back and forth about Microsoft wanting to take control of your IP and the notion of regranting you rights to any IP you upload into a project. After reading through all of it - especially the thoughtful responses from Microsoft's Jason Pace, I have a new appreciation for what Beta means - it's not just the code, but the legalese that has to get tested out by the developers.

Personally, I applaud Microsoft for providing this resource to the development community and hope that I see some of you out there pitching in on some of these projects.  I would encourage you to get involved early and make your opinions heard so that when they go gold (ok I am dating myself a bit) everyone will be realatively happy with the offering.

Nick Katsivelos
Saturday, September 21, 2002

I just don't understand why they have to dictate what the license is at all. I understand they want people to share source code but then to dictate the rights of the software? No thanks, I like sourceforge.net just fine.

Ian Stallings
Thursday, September 26, 2002

Mozilla went through a similar period of licensing beta where the MPL and NPL went through the public review grinder.  It did not have quite the same problems, but there were similar grumblings about Netscape "owning" other people's works at first.

It resolved itself eventually.

Christian Mogensen
Tuesday, October 01, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home