Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

PROBLEMS :  session timing out / login multiple ti

Hi all,
our Webfarm  has 2 webservers
ws1
ws2

Our client do not want to set up extra servers as state server/sqlserver for just maintaining sessions.
So infrastructure ppl are using sticky IP

Infrastructure people are handling loadbalancing in such a way that:  " if user1 hits ws1 for the first time then his requests will be served from the ws1 all the time."

So we were thinking that there is no harm in using Inproc for SessionState.We checked the eventlog very often and we see that aspnet_wp.exe process
never was recycled. no antivirus s/w is running, etc etc...

So now is there any solution to the below problems other than handling session using StateServer /SQLServer

1) session times out very fast.
2) sometimes we have to login multiple times(infact 3 times) to enter the application.

Thanks
VSK

VSK
Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Have you confirmed that stickiness is really working?  Check the IIS Logs to confirm.  I've had this similar situation, spent hours debugging code, only to find that the network engineers made a mistake when setting up stickiness.

haacked
Monday, October 13, 2003

same case here tooo..

we wasted like hrs debugging this problem!! :)

Vsk
Saturday, October 18, 2003

I'd be wary of the asp recycling. It bit us more than once until we moved to the StateServer.  You could just run a stateserver on each machine if you are sure the requests will be going to the same machine. I doubt the overhead will kill the app.

RJ
Monday, November 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home