Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

How do I publish a project?

I have 2 IIS servers - one is for development, the other one is the production server.

I have finished the ASP .NET application on the development server.

The problem is, I have no idea how to publish it to the production server.

I have tried copying all the files, but it doesn't work.

How do I publish an ASP .NET site to the production server, if I already have it on a development server?

Please help! Thanks!

James Molinsky
Monday, September 15, 2003

Have you made sure you copied over the /bin/ dir with the dll?

What I do is just use the VS.Net IDE

Project > Copy Project

Then just enter in the url. Works for me. There may be better ways I don't know of :)

James 'Smiler' Farrer
Monday, September 15, 2003

There is a Copy Project button in the Solution Explorer of the IDE; this will copy on the requred files.

steveL
Friday, September 19, 2003

I have found that for intranet machines it's better to use the i.p. addy, and your domain user must be an admin on the machine as well.

So if you have a web application developed on your local machine called WebApplication1, and it is running at http://local/WebApplication1/ make sure you know the  virtual directory on the IIS for the target machine.  If it is the same then you should be able to select the project node and choose Copy Project, put in the url for the intranet machine i.e. http://207.188.198.149/WebApplication1/ and it should copy the files over to it appropriately.

Thiaz Harbinger
Wednesday, September 24, 2003

If you're using the VS IDE, create a Web Setup Project for your ASP.Net app. Drag all the necessary files into the relevant folders (.aspx, .dll mostly) and follow the steps of the wizard to complete the process. Build it, and run the setup program on your server. It will create the Virtual Dir and everything for you... and you're ready to go!

Qerim Shahini
Friday, September 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home