Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

visual studio .net can't eat XML?

my visual studio .net is hanging up my entire machine when it tries to open up a 1000 line XML file. The file basically looks like:

<lastNames>
<lastName>SMITH</lastName>
</lastNames>

i.e. not a very complicated XML file.

is this typical behavior? is there anything i can do about it?

rz
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Is there an error of some kind? If you browse to the file using IE, will it display it?

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Not that it should matter; is the XML well formed?

GiorgioG
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Actually, it does matter. The "visual" XML editor (which I think they call Schema Mode) not only requires a well formed document, but it places some additional constraints on the file. I was hoping to draw that out with some kind of error message...

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

VS .NET is very, very buggy.

In the parts where it's not buggy, it's error prone and hard to use.

Now, I doubt the XML parsing part is buggy.

John
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Well, I took the exact file you have posted here, duplicated the <lastName>SMITH</lastName> line a thousand times, and it opens fine in VS .NET 2003. No hang, no delay, didn't need to add an XML declaration or anything else.

So, is your file really this simple? Are there unescaped special characters in some of the last names, perhaps?

As far as VS .NET being buggy, hard-to-use, and a tool of Satan - mileage varies on that. Some people use it quite successfully. Others seem to have nothing but trouble.

Mike Gunderloy

Are you by any chance running extremely low on memory?

Just me (Sir to you)

Hey, I figured out the problem. My file wasn't 1000 records, it was 100,000 records, and the machine was running low on virtual memory from a previous aborted action on the same file. thanks!

rz

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home