Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

ASP -> ASP.NET Transition & Session Object

My site is ASP based and I want to begin *transitioning* to ASP.NET. Can't do it all at once. The only thing stopping me is my need to be able to access a common "Session" object between the two. Microsoft's suggestion about how to do this is with a database and significant changes on BOTH the ASP and ASP.NET sides. That seems absurd. I was thinking that is there was a way for my ASP.NET code to make back-end HTTP calls to a plain ASP page which would, in turn, access the Session object, that would work. The question is, how could that back-end call efectively "join" the Session used by the ASP side? Even if I have access to the SessionID, is there a way to use that to gain access to a running ASP Session and its data?

Alex X. Maghen
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Microsoft suggestion is the only reasonably workable one. My suggestion is: do the conversion all at once (or at least split it at places that don't HAVE to share session data). Using cookies can help alleviate some of the burden, but not much.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Yes, we faced this problem earlier. Only workaround what we found was create a transistion page( it could be either asp or aspx depending on where you want to pass the session info to). Then pass the session values to this page in post method and get all the values and assign again to aspx session model and redirect back to origional page. This page just gets the information in request collection and assign and redirect that is all. It is working fine in our environment.

HTH

Ram
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home