Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Xml DocumentNavigator

The .Net tutorial that I'm reading right now makes specific mention of a DocumentNavigator class in the System.Xml namespace to navigate a DOM using XPath-like commands.  However, reading through the .Net v1.1 Framework docs, I find no mention of DocumentNavigator, but only XPathNavigator.  I'm thinking DocumentNavigator got deprecated and removed, but I can't find mention of it's removal anywhere.  Is that what happened?

Ankur
Monday, August 18, 2003

Do you mean System.Xml.XPath.XPathDocument ?

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Well, I'm reading this tutorial:

http://www.aspfree.com/articles/1395,1/articles.aspx

And I find references to a DocumentNavigator class(search for "Using the DocumentNavigator Object"), which looks like a really easy way for me to navigate my small XML files, but I can't find this functionality in the .Net v1.1 SDK, so I've gone to using full XPath expressions.  I was just wondering why I can't find anywhere why this functionality was removed.

Ankur
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Yes, the article seems to be based on a beta of the .NET Framework (I'd guess Beta 1, if not earlier). As you assume, what they're talking about does seem to be XPathNavigator. What functionality are you looking for specifically? For most documents XmlDocument's SelectNodes("xpath expression") is quick and easy way of slicing through your XML with XPath.

Duncan Smart
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home