Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

VS.Net & SQL Server 2k Developer's Edition

I'm putting together a quick prototype for a DB app, and it's the first time I've done any DB stuff with .Net. But the problem is, I can't find the Enterprise Manager.

I've looked through all the directories, and I can find the sqlserver.exe, sqlmangr.exe, and all the other executables. But no MMC file for the Enterprise Manager. Was this left out or is the shortcut in some non-obvious directory?

In the past, I've only used SQL Server 7.0, so for all I know SQL 2K isn't managed under an MMC app any more.

Bottom line, anyone know what the deal is on this and why MS didn't put shortcuts in my start menu, like it did for the installation of SQL7 developer's edition that came with VS6?

Reggie White (no, not *that* Reggie White)
Saturday, August 16, 2003

You've installed *MSDE* which is not "Developer Edition" -- it's the "Desktop Engine" -- it's the core SQL Engine (albeit with size and concurrent user limitations) without the management tools. There *is* a proper Developer Edition with all the gubbins -- so you may want to locate and install that instead. Do you have an MSDN subscription? It's on there, or you can buy it for $49 http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/development.asp

Alternatively you can stick with MSDE and use something like http://www.aspenterprisemanager.com/ to manage it. Or the command-line osql.exe is still there too ;-)

Duncan Smart

Or you can download the 180-day evaluation of the full SQL 2K package, and then do a "client tools only" install. That will get you Enterprise Manager and all the other GUI tools. Of course, at the end of 180 days you're supposed to remove it...but there's no timebomb in the client tools.

Mike Gunderloy

Duncan, you're right - it is MSDE since I have the Pro Edition.  I should have known this but I forgot that the "DE" in MSDE stood for Desktop Engine instead of Developer's Edition. Bummer.

Mike, thanks for the tip about the client tools. Thank God for broadband - the SQL Server + SP3 downloads were over 500MB.

Reggie White (no, not *that* Reggie White)
Monday, August 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home