Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Which VS.Net to Buy?

I am looking for advise on which version of VS.Net to purchase ... this is coming out of my own pocket.  The goal is to get up to speed on ASP.Net/C# ASAP.  Emphasis is on web/web services vs. console/windows apps.

Looking in the current Programmer's Paradise I find:

VS.Net Pro ($988)

VS.Net Enterprise ($1659) - Additions from Pro seem to be a) Windows Server 2003, b) SQL Server 2000, c) other servers that don't look too interesting, d) Visual SourceSafe, e) some tools to facilitate web services, f) other goodies.

VS.Net Enterprise Architect ($2299) - Additions from Enterprise seem to be a) Visio-based modeling tools, b) UML based modeling tools, c) BizTalk Orchestration Designer, d) more support for the compact framework, e) other goodies.

I'm leaning towards Enterprise.  Any comments/suggestions on what the best value is, "gotchas" from buying/not buying a particular version?

steved
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

If you are willing to shell out that much, I would suggest getting an MSDN subscription, which includes VS.NET.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/overview/default.asp

John Rosenberg
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

I think if you are going to pay for it, Pro is the best bet. Do you already have sql server?
If yes then Pro will be a good choice.

Deepika Khandelwal

SQL Server Developer edition is now only $49.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/development.asp

Rick Childress

+1 for MSDN. Even if you pay full price (which you ought not to, if you can use a search engine), MSDN Universal is not much more than VS.NET Enterprise Architect. Many sites on the net will sell MSDN Universal for $1200 or less.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

If this was out of my own pocket, I would purchase VC# Standard Edition and then purchase the developer edition of SQL Server.  All total that is around $150 (+tax).

I've used Pro (2002) and currently use Enterprise Architect (2003).  Honestly there is nothing (other than the ability to use multiple languages) that I see Pro or Enterprise Architect offering over the Standard Edition.

I'd take the rest of that money and spend it on a 19" LCD or laptop computer.

GuyIncognito
Thursday, August 07, 2003

Enterprise edition licenes you to distribute application built using .Net. Other editiond do not give you that licence.
If you are wanting to distribute application you need to buy one Enterprise copy.
For an organisation own developement, Profession edition is same as Enterprise without the licencing right.
Hope this throws light.
Also MSDN is a subscription for one year. At the end of which you need to renew. Enterprise and Profession versions are one time buy with no upgrades/ renewals given.

Ashok Mathur
Friday, August 08, 2003

"Enterprise edition licenes you to distribute application built using .Net. Other editiond do not give you that licence."

Complete nonsense. Of course you can distribute .NET applications built with ANY version of VS.NET, or even with no version at all (just by using the free .NET Framework SDK).

Chris Nahr
Friday, August 08, 2003

A while back I bought Enterprise Architect on EBay for under $1000.

MS has a sweet deal running now where you can update an expired VS.Net to VS2003 for $30. Just got mine today, whoo-hoo!

Clutch Cargo
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home