Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

C# Builder thoughts

Has been out for a couple of weeks now, anyone got some good impressions, comments on the software.

Personally I kind of like it, there are some flaws in it, such as the object inspector going blank when you go into the code editor but overall I like it better than VS.NET 1.0.  (I don't have 2003)

What are your thoughts

Rob
Saturday, July 26, 2003

"But overall I like it better than VS.NET 1.0."

Same here.  There are still some minor IDE bugs (no more/no less then VS.NET 1.0), but not bad for a version 1.0 .  VS.NET (on my machine) is dog slow and a memory hog.  C#Builder loaded alot faster.  It also seems that the IDE responds much faster than VS.NET.  I only tried the personal version, but I'm interested in the MDA tools that come with the Pro Version.

Cletus
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

I did have one problem with C# Builder.  It was in the COM Interop area.  I couldn't get an application to build using the a COM component that we already had.  However when I rant he EXACT same code in VS.NET it ran perfectly.  Go figure...  I think it's probably the import of the COM object in C#Builder that didn't quite make the interfaces correctly.  Other than that though it's a great product, and their version of "Intellisense" is much better than Microsoft's.

John Swaringen
Thursday, July 31, 2003

It behaves strangely on a multi-monitor setup. On my second monitor, I couldn't get its window to enlarge any bigger than the small primary (notebook) screen. Working in 1/4 of the screen is a deal-breaker no matter how nice the rest of it may be.

When I compiled a sample app the feedback was unusual, appearing to freeze and then suddenly showing the compilation as complete.

Otherwise, it did look quite nice. I consider this 1.0 release to be a promising, but not yet usable, beta.

Nate Silva
Saturday, August 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home