Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Starting MSDE

Hi,

I've poked around the readme's and the MSKB's, but I'm still having trouble starting the MSDE that the VS.Net Trial Version suggests downloading. After it's installed, I see it's created C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$VSDOTNET and C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80, and the install did not give any error messages so I'm assuming the install went allright.

When the computer boots, it displays the SQL Server Service Manager, but fails to find any 'services' on my computer.

Telnet to port 1433 returns no answer.

There are a number of started services related to SQL Server:

MSSQL$VSDOTNET
SQLAgent$VSDOTNET

Nevertheless, any attempt at connecting to the server (through the VS.Net Tools->Connect to Database, through the SQLServer MMC, through the SQL Server Service Manager) fail.

Nothing suspicious in the error logs (there's even a "SQL Server is ready for client connections" in there, the last line is "Using 'xpsqlbot.dll' version '2000.80.760' to execute extended stored procedure 'xp_qv'.")

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Yves
Friday, July 18, 2003

The version of MSDE installed for VS.NET's use is a local only installation. It doesn't respond to TCP/IP. I'm not sure whether it responds to the named pipe, or whether you have to directly talk to the thing with some other API (DMO?).

You shouldn't need to manipulate that database. It's for use by VS.NET. Why do you want to connect to it?

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, July 18, 2003

Thanks for the quick reply Brad.
I'm simply trying to connect to it from VS.Net, to make a basic CRUD application. I guess I need to start designing some tables, right? Then I can drag & drop them automagically on the web form. Or is this not the .net way of thinking?

I've discovered the Server Explorer in VS.Net, and when I try to expand the tree it prompts for a password (system account is 'sa', right? and then the password I gave at install), but it fails to connect.

Ok, let's try this with the basic question:
What am I trying to do?
I'm trying to design some tables, so I can then make the forms to update them. Is this somehow not the vs.net way of doing things?

Yves
Friday, July 18, 2003

"You shouldn't need to manipulate that database. It's for use by VS.NET" -- AFAIK it's just a test database for trying stuff out with. VS.NET doesn't specifically use it for anything. You can connect to it remotely if you enable the netlibs for it using svrnetcn.exe.

Yves, if you have the SQL Server MMC it suggest you have full-blown SQL Server -- so why bother with MSDE?

Wild guess: do you run ZoneAlarm or something similar -- it might be blocking access to the server even on the local machine.

The system account indeed is 'sa' -- but you should always be able to connect as Windows admin via a Trusted connection.

Make sure you patch with with SQL SP3a as soon as possible too.

Duncan Smart
Friday, July 18, 2003

I had some problems with MSDE not starting also. I had installed it flawlessly on my PC, but for some reason it wouldn't start after I installed it on my laptop with a similar OS configuration. I finally copied the registry keys over from my good install and everything worked fine.

If you're still having problems with this, I can try to create a reg file for you that might help.

Chris

Chris
Friday, July 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home