Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

WebDAV server in .NET with SQL store

We're in the process of trying to implement a WebDAV Server using C# which uses a SQL Server database as it's content store rather than the filesystem. It's been rather difficult to find any information on writing a WebDAV server. I have a few possible ideas:

1.) write it as a web application which runs within IIS. This would be the easy option, but I always seem to run into difficulties since IIS doesn't pass WebDAV requests on to .NET. It processes them itself with it's inbuilt WebDAV protocol.

2.) write an ISAPI filter to sit on top of IIS and process the WebDAV requests, then forward these onto my web application as requests which wouldn't be intercepted by IIS's webdav.

3.) write it in Java using apache slide. This is looking the most likely option, but we really want to keep the whole application on one language -- the rest of the application is written in C#.

Any suggestions would be great

thanks

Marcus

Marcus Greenwood
Friday, July 18, 2003

IIS 5 already supports quite a bit of WebDav, Exchange 2000 and 2003 both extend the IIS WebDav features.  If you issue an OPTIONS method on a generic IIS 5 server, you'll get a response similar to the one included.

You may want to consider leveraging the existing functionality,

hth,
Dan

Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:43:17 GMT
MS-Author-Via: MS-FP/4.0,DAV
Content-Length: 0
Accept-Ranges: none
DASL: <DAV:sql>
DAV: 1, 2
Public: OPTIONS, TRACE, GET, HEAD, DELETE, PUT, POST, COPY, MOVE, MKCOL, PROPFIND, PROPPATCH, LOCK, UNLOCK, SEARCH
Allow: OPTIONS, TRACE, GET, HEAD, COPY, PROPFIND, SEARCH, LOCK, UNLOCK

Dan Everhart
Friday, July 18, 2003

You could impement the whole web server in .NET -- check out Cassini project which is a web server in C#.
http://www.asp.net/Projects/Cassini/Download/Default.aspx?tabindex=7&tabid=41

It's designed to host ASP.NET for those without IIS -- but I'm sure you could extend it to do what you want.

Duncan Smart
Friday, July 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home