Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Infragistics?

Has anyone used Infragistics' Net Advantage Framework?

Any reviews, suggestions, etc?

anonymous
Monday, June 30, 2003

I'm not sure what part of their toolset you are focusing on, but I have worked with their UltraWinSchedule controls fairly recently.  They are decent, and simulate the Outlook calendar controls almost perfectly.  I've not run into any bugs yet -- they did, however, have some inconsistencies across namespaces with some of their event names, and their way of handling some events was a little fuzzy.

For example, their recommended method of detecting changes in an Appointment object, (from their KB), required hooking into its SubObjectPropChanged event and analyzing what its event data's PropChangeInfo object would spit out when calling ToString() -- they probably could've thought that through a little better.

All in all though, well worth the money considering the functionality -- and very good documentation to get me through issues like the one mentioned above.

Ryan Duffield
Monday, June 30, 2003

I just purchased (and finished downloading) the Infragistics NetAdvantage 2003 Suite Vol 2 + Subscription from ComponentSource for $608.  It includes the source code to the .NET components. 

Seems like a fairly decent library of controls for the price I paid...

If you have any specific questions about it, let me know...

GiorgioG
Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Their ASP.NET controls are a disaster. They emit some of the bulkiest HTML I've ever seen, and store tons of data in ViewState. One of their _sample_ pages generated 1.2MB of HTML and 800K of ViewState, for a 2MB download! IIRC, all it had on it was a tree control...

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Ouch.  Glad the main reason I bought it was for the WinForm controls ;-)

GiorgioG
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

I just searched Infragistics' newsgroups and it seems that (at least for the data grid control) the viewstate data is no longer stored in the html (it now gets shoved into the Session object) - better for performance, but its definitely not going to take a heavy load of users i(IMO) f it's loading up 1-2mb of viewstate data per session... I'm going to assume they've done this with all their controls - I'll check the source code later if anyone's interested...  I guess its an acceptable (temporary) workaround for anyone not running a huge site...

GiorgioG
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home