Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Windows Server 2003 & VS.NET 2002

I installed VS.NET 2002 on my WS2003 system. It installed .NET framework 1.0 side by side with 1.1 (built in WS2003). The questions are:
1. Can I use .NET 1.1 from VS.NET 2002?
2. I can't create Web project in VS 2002 - there are some error about shared directory and Frontpage extensions. I suppose, it's because of IIS6. Am I right? Did anyone use VS.NET 2002 with IIS 6?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mikhail Andronov
Friday, June 27, 2003

1. No.
2. Did you install IIS 6 on the box? Administrative Tools, Manage Your Server, and add the Application Server role. After that you'll need to run the aspnet_regiis tool from the 1.0 Framework folder to tell IIS to use 1.0 for ASP.NET sites.

Mike Gunderloy
Friday, June 27, 2003

Of course I added AppServer role, Mike 8-)))
I understood your answer, thank you. But there is one more question now - how can I later switch ASP.NET to .NET 1.1?

Besides, I run .NET 1.0 Web apps without any changes on current configuration. It's nessesary to run aspnet_regiis just to give VS.NET 2002 the ability to interact with IIS, isn't it?

8-)) Hope you understand me in spite of my English.

Mikhail Andronov
Friday, June 27, 2003

aspnet_regiis can register the entire web site, or pieces thereof. Look at the command line options.

You switch a site from 1.0 to 1.1 (or 1.1 to 1.0) by using the aspnet_regiis from the version that you want to move TO.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, June 27, 2003

You CAN run ASP.NET 1.0 apps on the 1.1 Framework, since the apps will run with the newer version by default (a bad decision, in my nonhumble opinion, but there you are). And if you happen to use one of the parts of the Framework where there's a breaking change, the apps will fail in strange and wonderful ways.

Mike Gunderloy
Saturday, June 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home