Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Promotion to Live

I'm working on a web application and to make it live (from development on local machine) I'm using Project, Copy Project and then copying up only "files used in this solution".  It still takes far longer than is necessary though (copying up all images every time and other unchanged files).  Is there any better way to do promotion to the live server (actually the system is not live yet which is why I'm doing lots of copy ups).

Thanks,

T

Thomas David Baker
Monday, June 23, 2003

Try something like:
xcopy c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyProject \\liveserver\wwwroot$\MyProject /D

The /D switch "copies only those files whose source time is newer than the destination time."

You might want to look into xcopy's /EXCLUDE switch too - whereby you create a text file with a list of file extensions you wish to exclude from the copy (eg, .cs, .resx).

Duncan Smart
Monday, June 23, 2003

I was looking for something in Visual Studio.Net.  I'm not an IDE guy but so much of how this app works seems linked with Visual Studio I was trying to give it a go.

Thomas David Baker
Monday, June 23, 2003

No - there isn't anything built into the IDE to do this. But put those xcopy commands in a batch file and add them to your Tools menu using Tools>External Tools.

Are you using any kind of source control? That will open up some more options.

Duncan Smart
Monday, June 23, 2003

Great ideas Duncan thanks.  Seems like a bit of an omission from such a hulking great web-services-oriented IDE but at least its extensible to do what I need.  Thanks.

Thomas David Baker
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home