Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Getting Started w/C# and ASP.Net

I've been away from ASP for a while.  When I started, I was able to download Personal Web Server and that was all I needed to begin playing around with ASP, since PWS talked ASP/VBScript.

For C# and ASPx (or ASP.Net, whatever it's called), what is the equivalent?  I imagine I need IIS?  Is that a freebie?  Can I use a 3rd party C# compiler (I'm still running NT so the SDK doesn't work for me).

steved
Sunday, June 22, 2003

You need Win2000 or WinXP Pro on your machine to run (and develop) .NET apps on your local machine. If you are looking for a simple alternative similar to PWS, download and use the Web Matrix prduct from Microsoft. It lets you develop and learn ASP.NET without having to install IIS.

And yes, IIS is a "freebie" if you have purchased WinNT/Win2000/WinXP. Go to your control panel, click add/remove programs and then select the add/remove Windows Components option. Click the IIS checkbox ...

Kentasy
Sunday, June 22, 2003

Web Matrix is at http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default.aspx?tabIndex=4&tabId=46

BUT - neither Web Matrix nor ASP.NET is supported on Windows NT. You need to upgrade your OS if you want to start playing with ASP.NET.

Mike Gunderloy
Monday, June 23, 2003

If you have XP(Home) - you can use Cassini as a free Web Server.

For a free IDE (i.e. instead of VS.NET) use Web Matrix

And it comes with a free DB environment.

Check out www.asp.net for links and info to the above.

Adam Smith Kinsely
Thursday, June 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home