Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Anyone need a web server?

Clearly most .NET apps will use IIS as their webserver.  And some people are also using Casini with Apache to run ASP.NET apps.

However, sometimes it is nice to embed a webserver directly in a C# application, for example.  I'm thinking of developing a library that would allow this.

Any thoughts?  As far as I can tell from google no one has done this.  Does anyone even see a need for it?

Thanks for any input,
Scot

Scot
Sunday, June 22, 2003

I started down this road (about half done, actually), and abandoned it because of time constraints.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, June 22, 2003

Brad,

Thanks for the reply.  My current theory is that commercial users would pay for this if:
- one-time fee
- royalty free
- source provided
- unit and acceptance tests provided
- commercial-friendly license
- no attribution required

What is your feel?  What do you think most companies would pay?  I'm thinking $1000.

We can continue by email if you prefer.

Scot
Sunday, June 22, 2003

CodeProject: Create Your Own Web Server using C#
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/mywebserver.asp

That's a start...

rick
Monday, June 23, 2003

I don't believe there's much commercial request for it out there, honestly. There are very few apps I can think of that use an embedded web server. Maybe you know of some niche I haven't thought of...

Monday, June 23, 2003

Thanks Rick, great link!

Scot
Monday, June 23, 2003

"There are very few apps I can think of that use an embedded web server"

Other than maybe all the home routers, ADSL modems and Wireless hardware. But finding one of them running the CLR is a long way off.

Damian
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Since Cassini is open source, I don't know why you'd need to write your own, other than as an academic excercise.  You could, instead, just embed the Cassini code into an application if it needed an internal web server. 

Xander Sherry
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

I doubt Cassini is "open source". It's source available, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can embed it.

You're missing a piece of the puzzle, though: Cassini doesn't run on 9x, only on 2K/XP/2K3.

Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Cassini *is* "open source".  According to Microsoft, you're allowed to embed it in applications, resell it as is, do whatever you like with it. 

As to the 9x issues...It isn't that Cassini can't run on 9x, it's that ASP.Net pages won't run on 9x.  9x doesn't support all of the APIs that Cassini requires to serve ASP.Net pages.  If the web server needs to server .Net, you're out of luck for 9x.  If not, cut down Cassini a bit, and you're good to go. 

Xander Sherry
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home