Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

ASP & ASP.NET Projects in Visual Studio 2003

Greetings.

I've got a situation for which I haven't been able to find any information on the usual sites & I thought someone here might have some experience with a similar situation.

I currently have a corporate intranet site organized by department (written in ASP) as follows:

\webroot
    \depts
        \accounting
            \application A
            \application B
        \sales
            \application C

Pretty simple.  I've been using VS.Net (as a code editor only) to build the various apps in ASP.  I've got one Visual Studio Project, "webroot", where all the code lives just as it does on the intranet server.

I'd like to be able to migrate the individual applications to ASP.Net on a per-application basis, but because everything is in the same project, the compiler wants to build the entire thing at once (including the "classic" asp code & html).

There are a number of html/asp menu screens & random html pages in the webroot (and other folders below each application) that I'd eventually like to refactor in .net as well.

Any recommendations on how I should (re)structure my Solution/Project in Visual Studio.NET 2003?  Should I have separate projects for Application A, B, C in the same solution?  If so, how do I work with the files/folders above the applications?  Just treat them as .aspx files & not compile them?

If anyone has experience making a scenario like this work, I would be most appreciative of any advice or tips others have had in the past.

Sorry for the long post.  Thanks!!

Jeff MacDonald
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

If your 'pure' ASP projects are truly seperate, use the configuration manager to uncheck the build option on those projects. 

Jason Watts
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

One option would be to leave the project as is, make a new solution and get all the applications in there as seperate projects.

Then you can compile them on a per project base.

Then if you want to refactor the files in the webroot themselves you can jump back to the original webroot project. 

Afterall, why choose ?

Mischa
Monday, June 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home