Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

migrating to to MS Studio .Net 2003?

Hello To Everybody,
Several weeks ago we recieved New MS Studio .Net 2003 .
At the moment there is a project in CVS on which we have worked more than 1 year. We have the deadline in 6 weeks.

One of our colleagues wants to update the .Net Studio on our development PCs. I feel that it is not the good time to do and in principle it is better to wait and finish the project without update to the new versions.
I have performed very quick testing (lack of time) and can say that it will cause some compatibility problems.
Can you confirm or critisiye my point of view?
Do you know from your expierence some problems while migrating to MS Studio .Net 2003? (Please briefly name them if it is possible).

Thanks,
Victor

Victor Bober
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

There are hundreds of changes between the .NET Framework 1.1 and 1.0. If you've been targeting 1.0 all along, this doesn't seem like a very good time to move forward to 1.1.

Note also that it's a one-way transition - once you open a project in VS .NET 2003, there's no (supported) way to get it back to VS .NET 2002.

I wrote about some of the changes, with pointers to more information, at http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2003/05/20/fcl_gotchas.html

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

+1 to Mike's opinion. That's a HUGE mistake to change environments with just 6 weeks to ship date, unless there's some show-stopper bug that you're trying to overcome with the old environment (doesn't sound like it).

Your co-worker should just sit tight for a couple months, and then make the transition after you've shipped.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Thank you very much for your answers. Hope the link to this web page with your opinions posted in a mail to co-workers will help.

Thanks.

Victor Bober
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

If not, a hearty beating with a sack of rusty doorknobs will do the trick!

Guy Incognito
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home