Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

For how long time will COM+ survive?

Hello.
Today COM+ services are available in .NET as Enterprise Services and MSDN recommend to use them in applications for automatic transactions, queued components, etc.
But as I've understood, COM assumed a "deprecated" technology - something like "backward compatibility".
So, please, tell me what do you think about that. Should I use EnterpiseServices in my applictions?

Mikhail Andronov
Friday, September 20, 2002

Definitely. COM+ isn't going away anytime soon. If there is a .NET replacement, then it will surely be implemented in the .NET EnterpriseServices assemblies.

Besides, what else are you going to use?

Simon Smith

Yes definitely use EnterpriseSerives. Microsoft aren't going to rewrite all that good stuff from scratch just they can stick a "Native .NET" badge on it. In fact it's so elegant as it is: inherit from Serviced Component, stick [AutoComplete] on your methods, that even if they did "rewrite from scratch" you probably still integrate with it in exactly the same way.

Dunc

Hello.
Actually, there are lot of questions about how to build applications with .NET EnterpriseServices. For example, how should I deploy serviced components to clients. Should I use remoting to operate with them or I can export COM+ application in old style and use COM-interop?
What do you think?

Mikhail Andronov
Tuesday, September 24, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home