Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Starting out with C#

Can anyone suggest a good book (or books) for learning C# from the ground up?

I've written a couple of programs with VB.Net. Having worked in in VB6, I naturally tried VB.Net first. Soon found out that it is a completely different animal and perhaps switching to C# would be better as there appear to be more examples in C# than VB.Net.

Any suggestions/comments on the best way to approach this is greatly appreciated.

I realize that one can make better suggestions if one knows the target audience. So... I've been doing software development since the 1980's and DOS. I have a good grasp of the fundamentals such as data structures, structured programming, and objects. Did a little C programming in the mid-80s, but moved on to Clipper, and Visual Basic 4 (with SQL Server as the back-end database) as I could produce results faster using those tools.

Thank you for your help.

Himanshu Nath
Wednesday, March 26, 2003

I'm crossing over from classic VB to C# and found 'Professional C# 2nd Edition' from Wrox to be a pretty good all-round starting point. 

It seems to cover most topics and weighs in at a reasonable £44 (US$60).

John Fletcher
Thursday, March 27, 2003

If you're strong on VB6, you can pick up most of what you'll need to know about C# from Brian Bischof's THE .NET LANGUAGES: A QUICK TRANSLATION GUIDE (Apress): side-by-side examples in VB6, VB.NET, and C#.

For a general C# book, I should mention MASTERING VISUAL C# (Sybex), of which I am a co-author. However, I think Jesse Liberty's PROGRAMMING C# (O'Reilly) is really a better book.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, March 27, 2003

Also, Jesse Liberty's Learning C# is also a good book, although maybe at a more introductory level.

Charles Reich
Thursday, March 27, 2003

In my opinion, the code samples and tutorials in the SDK are much more helpful then any of the books. (i've looked through and own some of the books metioned above).

Vincent Marquez
Thursday, March 27, 2003

Take a look at C# specification to get more power out of it.

Robert Hudjakov
Friday, March 28, 2003

I'm moving from C++ to C# for GUI work, and I've found Andrew Troelsen's "C# and the .NET Platform" to be pretty good.

Andrew Lighten
Friday, March 28, 2003

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've ordered a couple of books from bookpool.com and am wading my way through the SDK tutorials. :-)

Himanshu Nath
Saturday, March 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home