Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

VB.NET Book Recommendations

I bought O'Reilly's Programming VB.Net, but it's like a reference manual in book's clothing; the examples are painfully general with SomeClass working on SomeInterface in conjunction with SomeInteger. No sir, I don't like it.

Can anyone suggest a good book for picking up VB.NET that's a little more, er, like Conversational VB.NET?

I guess I should have check this forum as often as I check the main one, I'm sure someone has already asked this question...

Joel Goodwin
Wednesday, March 19, 2003

I would highly recommend, Programming Microsoft Visual Basic .NET by Fransesco Balena (http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/5199.asp). This is the most definitive book on VB.Net. But takes some heart to go through >1600 pages.

Deepak(WebJives.com)
Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Try to type "book" in the "Search" field on the left side of this page.

Mikhail Andronov
Thursday, March 20, 2003

Holy toast, I'd never noticed the search function before.

Well here I go searching the forums all day for my favourite keywords.

Joel Goodwin
Thursday, March 20, 2003

Programming Microsoft Windows with Microsoft Visual Basic - Charles Petzold

Another excellent book on VB.Net over 1300 pages!

Robert Smibert
Thursday, March 20, 2003

For 3000 pages with lots of sample code, there are my own MCAD/MCSD Training Guides from Que (70-305 and 70-306 out now, 70-310 soon). They're focused on the certification exams, but I have been getting feedback from readers who find them good survey works as well.

Now that the obligatory horn-blowing is out of the way, some others that I've found useful:

Roger Jennings VISUAL BASIC .NET XML WEB SERVICES DEVELOPER'S GUIDE (McGraw-Hill/Osborne) is the best VB/WS book I've found. I don't know how Roger keeps up with all this stuff.

For data access, Bill Vaughn's ADO.NET AND ADO: EXAMPLES AND BEST PRACTICES FOR VB PROGRAMMERS (Apress) is good. I actually prefer Bob Beauchemin's ESSENTIAL ADO.NET and Shawn Wildermuth's PRAGMATIC ADO.NET (both Addison-Wesley), but they both use C# rather than VB .NE for examples.

If you're moving from VB6, Brian Bischof's THE .NET LANGUAGES: A QUICK TRANSLATION GUIDE (Apress) is the best way to find out the new ways to do old things; it's got side-by-side examples in VB6, VB .NET, and C#.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, March 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home