Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

code for web ? asp : .net

I KNOW asp (VBS) real well.

What is the benefit of writing my web pages using .net?
Execution speed?

How bad would my development speed decay during learn mode? (I've read here that .asp background may have hard time learning the OO aspects...)

If I use the sample MS WebMatrix IDE, it looks like a lot of libraries of prewritten routines and controls that get converted to standard html during runtime on the server. Might improve my productivity after I learn something new, just concerned about actually getting production done to earn $$$ versus learning something new to beenfit down the road....

Thanks for your response.write(s)

steve wasiura
Thursday, September 19, 2002

From the horse's mouth :-)

Why asp.net?

Answer from the ASP.NET team at Microsoft @
http://www.asp.net/whitepaper/whyaspnet.aspx

Anil

Anil John
Thursday, September 19, 2002

As far as I can see, the Microsoft article misses one of the biggest advantages of ASP.NET (over ASP at least): Code seperation.

An ASP application allows the code to be completely seperated from the web design. This allows you to leave the programming work to programmers, and the web design to web designers. It also means that if you want to change the look of the web site, you can redesign the HTML without having to touch the code.

Okay, this isn't a big deal if you've got a few scripts embedded in your site for telling the time or number of hits. But if you're developing a sophisticated database driven site, this is a huge advantage.

And then there's all the other good .NET stuff, like object orientated code, the huge .NET class library, and all the ofter advantages.

By the way, I know Java has allowed code seperation for years, but unless you wrote your own template system, this is completely new to VB/ASP.

James

James Shields
Friday, September 20, 2002

ASP.NET offers lots of advantages, including compiled execution (rather than interpreted) and strong typing. For my money, those two alone are enough to make the switch. I didn't find it especially hard to move from ASP to ASP.NET; it's just one more syntax to learn. Plus you can mix pages in the same web (within limits - session state doesn't share, for example) so you can make the transition gradually.

I'd spend the $99 for a bottom end edition of VS .NET, though, rather than dick around with Web Matrix. Yeah, it's a nice tool, but it's a dead end.

Mike Gunderloy
Friday, September 20, 2002

Well, I had no real OO experience when I installed VS.NET beta 1.  I had a small project that I was going to do in 10 days using ASP (VBS) and VB6.

I decided it'd be a great way to really get into .NET if I did it using ASP.NET.  Guess what -- those 10 days turned out to be 4, with an extra day to add some final touches.

As soon as you get the event- and control-driven model of ASP.NET, things get really easy.  The productivity gains you get from A: The ASP.NET model in general, and B: VS.NET far outweigh the learning slope.

I've been using VS.NET in production (since beta 1) on around 20= projects for clients (almost all web based), and haven't regretted it at all.

Michael Giagnocavo
Saturday, September 21, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home