Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Looking for good books on asp.net

I am looking for a good book on ASP.NET which provides access to examples in C#.

So far I have read ASP.NET Unleashed, by Stephen Walter, that I found very good to start out with. It is the book I would recommend for someone starting out on .NET. Now I want to go further in web-control development, design-time stuff, and really understanding how the life cycle works, among other things.

I also have the Kothari book (ASP.NET server controls and components), but I find it hard to read, as it has pages and pages of examples, followed by descriptions of what the example does, but very little on why he chose that way of doing things, why the more simple approach was too limited, what the alternatives might have been, in what case you would want to choose which approach. 

I am not a hard-core programmer, but I do programming, so I need a book that explains things well, but has sufficient technical depth.

Francis

Francis Vila
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Liberty & Hurwitz, PROGRAMMING ASP.NET (O'Reilly)
Brill, CODENOTES FOR ASP.NET (Random House)
Esposito, BUILDING WEB SOLUTIONS WITH ASP.NET AND ADO.NET (Microsoft Press)

Any of those will get you a bit further into the guts.

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

I like Professional ASP.NET 1.0 by WROX press, it's been invaluable.

And of course msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups.

Shaun Farrugia
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

I'd recommend this book:
Prosise, Jeff. "Programming Microsoft .NET (core reference)" - Microsoft Press, 2002.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735613761/qid=1046842182/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-3159148-4813719?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Mikhail Andronov
Wednesday, March 05, 2003

I'm working my way through the SAMS - Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 21 Days - book at present (It's at home so I can't remember the author).  It contains examples in C# in addition to VB.NET.  I am new to asp and .net, nevermind ASP.NET and I find it quite easy to follow and implement.

By the way, does anyone know where to find a working ASP.NET forum? I've tried google to no avail.

Tim Messer

Try http://www.asp.net/

Mike Gunderloy

I think I have all of the books that have been mentioned so far.  I have eight .Net books total and the one I have found most useful was also the least expensive....O'Reilly's ASP.NET in a Nutshell by G. Andrew Duthie & Mattew MacDonald. 

There has been at least three or four occasions where I looked in all the 'bigger books' first and ended up finding my solution, 'in a nutshell'.

jp steffen

I agree with shaun.Professional ASP.NET of Wrox publication indeed is best book available in the market.
It covers whole range of topics.

manish gour
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home