Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Graphical design/modelling tools for .Net

What graphical tools do people use for designing their software in .Net?

Does anyone have any recomendations? Rational XDE? Visio Professional?

Samuel D. Jack
Wednesday, February 05, 2003

Why do you think that design .NET applications need some specific tools? I prefer using UML for design, but there's no matter what tool to use to draw diagrams.
Although, the best UML-editor I've seen was Telelogic Tau UML Suite.

Mikhail Andronov
Thursday, February 06, 2003

I would like to have forward/reverse engineering capabilities built into the tool. That's why it is important that it work with .Net

Samuel D. Jack

A lot of it boils down to how much you want to spend. Visio Enterprise Architect does a decent job, and it's included with the Enterprise version for VS .NET, so it's a good starting point. Rational XDE has more impressive capabilities, but costs more than VS .NET itself. (It's also more stable than past Rational offerings, I think). The best code generator I've seen is Codagen Architect, which works using either Visio or Rational as a UML tool, but you're talking serious money ($80K base price, as I recall) to get into that one. At that cost, you should be doing your own evaluations :)

Mike Gunderloy

Please also take a look at Enterprise Architect from Sparx Systems.  I'm into my 2nd year as a customer and have never been as satisfied with a product.  It does roundtrip engineering and has a plethora of features that even Rose can't match.  All for US $150.00 .  http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/

Dave Warner
Saturday, February 08, 2003

There's also http://www.visualobject.com/ . Haven't tried it yet.

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, February 09, 2003

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm very glad to discover that I wont have to pay squillions to buy a good modelling tool!

Samuel D. Jack
Wednesday, February 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home