Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

ASP_NET stopped working with HR 80070545

A machine here suddenly (just switched in the last half hour) stopped working.

The HTML returned from the web application says "Server Application Unavailable"

The event says "aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. HRESULT for the failure: 80070545"

Anyone seen this? A quick search turns up something to do with permissions, a few. It's not isolated to one application, but every ASP web app.

weird
Tuesday, January 28, 2003

If you are using Windows 2000 the directory of your app needs to be set for application. I don't have Windows 2000 so I can't tell you exactly how to do this but if you search google you will find it. In Windows XP Pro I had to set  the directory where the virtual directory in IIS pointed so that aspnet user had full permissions. It shouldn't have happened that these permissions changed suddenly unless someone changed them on your server without you knowing. If you try to change the permissions through IIS you can run into problems. I've had to delete and move applications and set them up again after trying to fix this in IIS. Better to fix through windows.

Jon King
Friday, January 31, 2003

running aspnet_iis -i will fix it, though sometimes it comes back later. i still don't know why it changed, though it could be some setting being propogated from the domain controller or something. different machines have it happen at different times.

weird
Saturday, February 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home