Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Sharp Develop

Hello:
I'm thinking about learning C# and I've find a free IDE called SharpDevelop http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/ . With this and the .NET SDK it's supossed that I can begin learning C# and develop Windows app.
For now, my only interest is learning C#, I don't want to develop comercial software.
Does anybody has experience with this IDE ?
Regards,
José Luis

José L. Sánchez
Friday, January 24, 2003

I've played with it. It seems to be reasonably stable, and of course the price is right.

Note that you don't need *any* IDE to develop C# software. The .NET Framework SDK includes the command-line compiler and all of the other tools that you need to get started.

Mike Gunderloy
Friday, January 24, 2003

Thanks,
but, can I do Windows applications with SDK ? How can I make windows and dialogs without an IDE or resource editor ?
Regards,
José Luis

José L. Sánchez Navarro
Sunday, January 26, 2003

How do you make form type classes and the like by hand?

You create a control, set it's size and location on the appropriate form class.  Add the control to the ".Controls" form  type.

Mark Hurley
Sunday, January 26, 2003

If you really need help with the forms, take a look at what #d puts in the Init function.  You can do it by hand, but #d does most of the gruntwork. 

I tried #d for awhile, but eventually broke down and got Visual C#.Net...

rick
Sunday, January 26, 2003

C# doesn't use resources for forms. They're just code: instances of the Form class with appropriate properties. IDEs make it easier, but they're not necessary.

(You can use resources for various things in C#, but there are tools for that in the SDK as well).

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, January 26, 2003

Mike is correct, an IDE is not needed for any .net development (webforms, winforms, etc.) Half of my team (3 people) uses Studio.net, half uses UltraEdit.

In fact, the person working on the GUI front-end uses UltraEdit primarily. Why? He tried making a form with a tree-view control on the left that the user could hide by dragging the right pane over it. It became impossible to position the controls in Studio (something to dow ith tabs, etc), so he just looked at the code Studio produced and did it in UltraEdit from then on.

It is more work and it is harder to get started, but not impossible. What yo do need is examples to get the basics down.

Also, in terms of positioning, that is where a GUI IDE helps. Without one, expect a good amount of experimentation with x,y coordinates.

AEB
Monday, January 27, 2003

#D includes a bundled library called XmlForms that supposedly make it a breeze to create complex and rich XML-based user interfaces and is specially suited for their forms editor.  Free for non-commercial use.

Epaminondas Pantulis
Wednesday, January 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home