Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Send mail with lotus notes

hi all,
Is it different to send mail lotus notes mail server.? My .net application is trying to create smtp mail instance on a server that is running lotus notes mail server.

Thanks!!!

Ravi sankar
Tuesday, January 14, 2003

Ravi,

There shouldn't be anything unique to sending email with .net through a Lotus Domino server using the SMTP protocol.  The only thing that may be a problem is authentication (which will be a problem with any SMTP server that is 'locked-down' to prevent being a spam relay.)  Having said that, the default Smtp mail sending functionality in the .net framework does not support authentication.  I did manage to find a free Smtp class library that will allow this (and it's free) at http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/User/Samples/download.aspx?FileGuid=d7dff837-6eac-4b8b-a7c3-91d115fc1ab7

I haven't tested it yet however.  Let me know how you make out.

GiorgioG
Tuesday, January 14, 2003

Hi Giorgio,

Thanks for the info. I have still not started with the development work. I have just got the client requirement. I will try it once i have set up the development environment. I will keep u informed.
I to belive there should not be anything more than simply accessing the SMTP protocol.

Happy .Net!!!!

Ravi sankar
Friday, January 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home