Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CD crashes when importing existing site

I found some bugs when trying to import existing pages from my local host, either through URLs (I'm running a local web server), or through a physical path to the hard drive. The Insert | (File | Picture) is not usable when importing more than one file, so I tried the Insert | Import Web Page option:

1. Choosing a single file, through its URL: http://localhost/index.html; Import. Next, double-click on Imported_Web_Page.html to edit it: "CityDesk Problem".

Clicking on Don't Send leaves the user in the empty WYSIWYG editing window, and the main window must be closed (the mouse cursor shows as an hourglass, but it still usable to hit File | Exit.)

2. Insert | Import Web Page crashes CD when choosing a hard-drive path instead of a URL (Insert | Import Web Page; Choose a local path instead of a URL (eg. D:\Documents\FTP\), select one or several files, and hit Import: The bug report dialog box shows up, and I cannot close the Import web page dialog (Cancel is clickable, but doesn't do anything. The Import dialog can be closed by clicking on the X button in the title bar.)

3. Suggestion: When using a hard-drive path instead of a URL, the display box only offers the "Big Icon" view. It'd be convenient to also offer the "Details" view.
I'm not sure the question was asked before, and since this home-made BBS doesn't provide archives yet, I'll have to ask.

It looks like the Import feature doesn't work too well, but it's a very important feature since a lot of users probably already have existing sites that they'll want to import in one go into a .CTY site.

Thx
FF.

Frederic Faure
Thursday, November 01, 2001

Any chance you are trying to import a page with frames in it? (Or with an <OBJECT> tag in it?)

See if you can right-click on the imported web page (the localhost one) and open in HTML view... so you just see the source.  If that works, paste the source here, or mail it to me.

Michael Pryor
Thursday, November 01, 2001

Michael,

1. The issue is that the Import section only works for a single file (linked JPGs OK though), but it fails when pointing CD to a physical path, eg. D:\Documents\FTP\, and selecting more than one file.

Most likely, I'm not the only one who would like to import and entire tree from Apache's htdocs/ directory into CD. Is there another way than going through the Import thing once for each file?

2. The imported file is renamed to Imported_Web_Page.html. It'd be much nicer if the original filename were kept.

Thx
FF.

Frederic Faure
Friday, November 02, 2001

Copy the HTML files over to your hard drive (it appears they are already there for you though)  and just drag and drop them into citydesk.

Michael Pryor
Friday, November 02, 2001

WOW, I LOVE this drag-and-drop feature! I was also trying to figure out how to import multiple web pages with images, css, and js. I couldn't quite figure out how to do it because "Insert > File" doesn't bring all the images, css, and js together with the html and "Insert > Web Page..." requires you to know the file location beforehand. Dragging-and-dropping files, however, work just great. However, I wouldn't have known about this great feature if I was not consciously looking for the solution in this discussion forum.

Anyway, here is my another suggestion: I would like to have the "Browse...." button next to the URL/filename text field so that I can locate my local html just like Windows Explorer. Because I didn't memorize or copy the file location beforehand, I really didn't want to bother with going back and forth looking for my files in my local drive. If I could have done it right in CD, that would have been much better.

Also, the location of "Import Web Page" is questionable. Since many web editors' "Import Web Page/Site" is under "File" (FrontPage, for example), isn't this menu item supposed to be under "File" instead of "Insert"?

Sorry to be picky.

Satoko Mellinger
Sunday, November 18, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home