Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Import Web Page

I recently started FOOLING AROUND with the free version of CityDesk, and my wife caught me.

I said, "Honey, it's a computer program.  I'm not having SEX with it."

"Frankly, I'd feel more comfortable if you'd just have an old-fashioned AFFAIR than get obsessed with another computer thingy," she said.

I had to laugh.  I now realize it was a nervous laughter.

Well, really, the interesting thing is not that my wife caught me, but frankly I don't know the difference between a "server side include" and "Excuse me, Mr. SERVER, could you INCLUDE fries on the SIDE?"

This discussion forum seems geared to those with much more experience than I.  All I want to do is import a web page from my local drive that I created using Trellix.  But I can't get the darn thing to work.  (Yes, I did refer to CityDesk Help.)

I import a web page.  I preview the document and... nothing.

Argh.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  In the meantime, excuse me while I see if my wife was SERIOUS about that "affair" comment...

George Illes
Monday, February 25, 2002

Had to go look up what "Trellix" even is.  I assume you mean Trellix Web Express (http://www.trellix.com) Looks like some sort of web-based web site build-o-matic tool with a lot of code-behind-the-web plugins they call "Web Gems".

Does this even save HTML files (web pages) to your local drive?  Or only on their hosting service?  If its on their service, just import from the URL you use to get to your Trellix-created site.

Of course the reason question is, why switch from Trellix to this?  CityDesk is pretty simple to use, as these things go, but it certainly does require you know your way around HTML to get the most out of it.  The real advantage of CityDesk comes once you're done with your HTML work and just want to pump new articles out all the time... for that, it's very efficient and a super tool.  But for creating a new web site from scratch... a novice might go with some tool or service that provides a lot of pre-built templates (like Trellix seems to do).

David Whatley

George,  You can try this:

The easiest way is to drag your Trellix web into CityDesk.  Open CityDesk then open Windows Explorer and find your site.  Drag your site into your CityDesk window and there you are.  I don't know Trellix but with most web publishers, you can set up CityDesk to "Open with" so you can continue to use Trellix to edit your files until you get the hang of CityDesk.

TK

David / TK:

It's been a couple of days, but thanks to both of you for your suggestions.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'll give a whirl at dragging my site into CD.  Wish me luck!  Bon voyage!  If I never return, don't send reinforcements!

George Illes
Thursday, February 28, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home