Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

SP1 Smoke Test: Send Us Your CityDesk Files!

There's nothing worse than upgrading to a supposed "bug fix" release that makes your stuff stop working.

I want to make sure that the CityDesk Service Pack does not break any of your sites that used to work.

Please email any CityDesk site (.CTY) files you would like to contribute to our Smoke Test to citydesk@fogcreek.com. I suggest you ZIP them before sending.

Here's what we'll do: for every .CTY file submitted, I will do a full publish with 1.0.23 (the current shipping version) and then again with SP1. Then I will compare each published version byte-for-byte to make sure that we didn't inadvertently break any functionality you are relying on.

These files will form a permanent CityDesk smoke test that will insure backwards compatibility for years to come.

Thanks!

Joel Spolsky
Monday, February 04, 2002

ensure not insure :)

a luser
Monday, February 04, 2002

i think Joel meant insure, coz he is going to pay you and then commit ritual suicide if backwards compatibility is broken, which is a bigger promise than ensure. :-)

homer
Tuesday, February 05, 2002

When's the deadline?

Brad Wilson

No deadline, whenever you send them, they'll get added to the smoke test.

Joel Spolsky

Usage Note: Assure, ensure, and insure all mean “to make secure or certain.” Only assure is used with reference to a person in the sense of “to set the mind at rest”: assured the leader of his loyalty. Although ensure and insure are generally interchangeable, only insure is now widely used in American English in the commercial sense of “to guarantee persons or property against risk.”

bigger luser

"Insure" and "ensure" are both acceptable spellings for this meaning of the word. See www.bartleby.com/64/C003/035.html

Mike Schiraldi

this is silly.

(e|i)nsure

OK, thanks everyone!

I got about 18 CityDesk files and ran them all through the currently shipping CityDesk and my current working version. Everything seemed to be OK, despite some earth-shatteringly complicated plumbing work I've done on the CityScript parser ...

Joel Spolsky

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home