Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

"The Bug"

I just finished reading the book. Two comments

a) It wasn't a terrific novel;
b) there wasn't any bug for "real" programmers in it.

So you might wanna revise your weblog entry you had on this book a while ago.

The Bug
Saturday, April 24, 2004

I'm sorry you didn't like it.

If I remember off the top of my head, there are three bugs that I found in the corrected code that Ellen Ullman provides. I emailed her about them and she said they were basically a typo introduced in production which nobody noticed.

I thought The Bug was actually a great example of the kind of heisenbug that might honestly take a year to find.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Sunday, April 25, 2004

I read the book for its insights into a programmer's mind and asked my wife to read it, as a non-programmer.  She found the characters weak and unsatisfying, their relationship basically empty.  I thought it was OK, but VERY depressing and am not sure what I got out of it or why it was worth my time ( other than finding out the ultimate source of the bug ). 

Barry Sperling
Monday, April 26, 2004

"( other than finding out the ultimate source of the bug ).  "

Even that didn't give me the elements of surprize. I knew from the get go that It wasn't Levin's module generating the error.

The Bug
Monday, April 26, 2004

The Bug was slightly entertaining as it indeed contains real world programming elements. For the rest of it, it was very very mediocre. A humorless description of the dull lives of pitiful boring people in a depressing environment just doesn't interest me.

Plus those guys had lousy problem solving skills. While this bug was a typical nasty one, it should by no means have taken an experienced coder more than a few days to find and fix.

Right after The Bug I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, which was about a gazillion times more entertaining.

Jan Derk
Monday, April 26, 2004

"She found the characters weak and unsatisfying, their relationship basically empty."

The characters were computer geeks? Sounds like pretty accurate writing then...

[grinning, ducking, running]

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, April 27, 2004

"I emailed her about them and she said they were basically a typo introduced in production which nobody noticed."

At least she didn't tell you to check into an asylum.

MugsGame
Thursday, April 29, 2004

"I knew from the get go that It wasn't Levin's module generating the error."

Gee, thanks from all of us who hadn't read the book yet but were considering it.

Jim Rankin
Thursday, April 29, 2004

"She found the characters weak and unsatisfying, their relationship basically empty."

Weren't they in UNICODE? :-)

Daniel Daranas
Monday, May 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home