Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What's paxlogica all about then?

Hi Joel,

I just downloaded the trial of CityDesk and noticed that it the file is served from http://www.paxlogica.com/

Out of curiosity I visited the server and the site serves a blank page.

Is this a domain that you run for serving stuff?

Tim H (nosey parker)
Wednesday, April 21, 2004

To save bandwidth costs, the free CityDesk starter edition download is hosted by a company called Rackshack which charges us around $10/month for TONS of bandwidth. But the way they're set up, you have to have a dedicated domain pointing only to their servers. So we use one of our domains, paxlogica.com, which isn't used for anything else and doesn't mean a thing, for that server.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

It's a good name, though - you should start a company with it :-)

Neil Hewitt

Sounds like a take-off on ArsDigita (Philip Greenspun's old company).

J. D. Trollinger

It is.  I think Joel alluded to that in one of his older articles...

Norrick

Is Rackshack the same as the first Google result, http://www.ev1servers.net ?  Their site is full of broken links and "coming soon" pages.  After reading most of your commentary, I can't believe you'd entrust a company like that with an important hosting function!

Sean Waters

I believe Pax Logica was what Joel was calling his company until he settled on Fog Creek.

Aaron F Stanton
Thursday, April 22, 2004

The code name for Fog Creek was "paxDigita," yes it was stolen from arsDigita but it was just a working name until we figured out the real name.

RackShack is the same as ev1; they have been around for a long time and host zillions of sites. We don't entrust them with much, just the heavy bandwidth large file downloads like the CityDesk starter edition. In the early days there were a couple of problems where our file, sitting on their server, would actually get corrupted, and we would have to re-upload it. I suspect they would move your site around from server to server in some kind of unreliable way. In any case, you can't get a better deal on bandwidth, and we haven't had a problem with them in years.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, April 22, 2004

You might want to put a redirect on the root of paxlogica.com that points to fogcreek.com.

File corruption sounds scary.  I understand the good deal on bandwidth, but I'd be afraid of having your binary trojanned in an environment like that.  Maybe script a download once a day & compare the MD5 to a known good local binary?

Anonymouse
Thursday, April 22, 2004

Yeah. But it hasn't happened for years. If it happened any more I would just dump 'em like a hot potato.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, April 22, 2004

Coincidence being what it is I've just come across Pax Logica in Ian Banks novel "Dead Air". The protagonists lover is accusing the protagonist, a radio presenter, of wanting everybody to think the same. She says he's an "intellectual colonialist", who wants to impose Western thought on the whole world - a Pax Logica, like the Pax Romana or Pax Americana.

Stephen Jones
Friday, April 23, 2004

So is Pax Logica meaning a time of widespread logic?

Tim H (nosey parker)
Friday, April 23, 2004

> So is Pax Logica meaning a time of widespread logic?

It would mean that; or widespread rule of logic.

Literally, "pax" means "peace"; the "Pax Romana", the "Roman Peace", meant bringing peace to the world (to the barbarian tribes) by conquering them and making their territories provinces of the orderly Roman empire.

Christopher Wells
Friday, April 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home