Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How much browsing do you tolerate?

Hi Joel,

For Fogcreek employee how much non-work related browsing or other activities do you tolerate during their working day?

Regards,

Ferdy
Sunday, April 11, 2004

This is not something I concern myself with. Honestly, I couldn't care less as long as someone is getting their work done.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Monday, April 12, 2004

Hear, hear!

Andrew Cherry
Monday, April 12, 2004

So how do you gauge how much work to expect them to do?

Gwyn
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

This is an interesting point, and my reaction previously was based on this...

My feeling is that your boss, team leader, project manager, etc. should know pretty much instinctively how much time something will take, because they should understand roughly what kind of thing is involved, and at least the magnitude of the potential complexity.

So my boss would know that me claiming to need a week to implement a tic-tac-toe game is obviously crap, and me claiming that I can code our next-gen middleware system in a week is even more crap.

This is the problem with having non-technical management, and why I think that really, only people who have done something can manage someone else doing that thing...

It's all very well saying that you understand management theory, but that's useless without understanding someone's job, at least for something like programming, engineering, etc.

Andrew Cherry
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

The problem is that good managers are hard to find. Good coders are hard to find...

So statistically, good coders that can be good managers are like unicorns. And if you can't get a good coder that can manage to lead your project, you get a good manager (included in that definition is someone who understands their limitations and will listen to their people).

There was a whole thread about this on JoS. My point of view is that a bad manager will do more damage than no manager...

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

My perception is Joel doesn't rely on 'fear' to get work done by employees.

Take this forum: there is no registration, almost no moderation, and yet the discussion is consistently high-quality.

There is a pervasive feel that you're in a 'quality' place and you'd be doing *yourself* a disservice by posting junk -- your name will be marred, you'll lose the respect of high-standing people.

Psychologically, it's probably just as 'primal' as fear and intimidation -- but, instead of demeaning, it bolsters everyone's self-esteem.

Alex.ro
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

"There is a pervasive feel that you're in a 'quality' place and you'd be doing *yourself* a disservice by posting junk"

Thats why there is the AC!

Anon-y-mous Cow-ard
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Note: AC is the Anonymous Coward, not the Aussie Chick *grin*

Aussie Chick
Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Or indeed Andrew Cherry... hehe

Andrew Cherry
Thursday, April 15, 2004

Or anyone else with initials AC.

Acronym Congruence
Tuesday, May 04, 2004