Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

HTTP Request handelling in PB 6.5

We have a PB 6.5 application, thru which we want to
start/stop a web application using HTTP request and also the response to be captured for action assurance.

I have tried PB native internet service but they are availabe only for Win98 and NT. I want to use MSXML3.dll (XML HTTP SERVER) in PB. But do'nt know the way.

Please guide me. Sample code will be better way to quickly understand.

Thanks and Warm regards.
Shailendra

Shailendra Bagal
Tuesday, April 06, 2004

I'm going to guess that PB is PowerBuilder, right? I've never used PowerBuilder so I really can't help you out there, sorry.

Unless PB is Peanut Butter. I don't know how to make a peanut-butter based web server.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Did you run out of questions to answer OR you thought you should crack a good joke on PB? Beats me! ;) :)

JD

JD

Peanut butter-based web servers were initially sold on the premise that it would make your site more "sticky."

I could not resist...I apologize...

Teller Coates

Warm regards?  As opposed to what? Cold ones? 

What the heck?  :)

oh my

Peanut butter-based web servers are eaiser to Jam.

Almost Anonymous

Hi,

If you people do'nt know how to do it .. then

please do'nt comment on it .... just leave it!

Shailendra Bagal
Thursday, April 08, 2004

You still haven't answered the "what is PB" question.

And what does the contraction <do'nt> stand for? <do ent>? <do ant>? <door bent>? (wouldn't that last be <do''''nt>?)

[Sorry, couldn't resist.]

Martha
Thursday, April 08, 2004

Do Peanut butter-based web servers work well with Java or any other type of coffe products?

http://www.alexlechuck.com
Thursday, April 08, 2004

As far as I remember Power Builder 6.5 (it was 4+ years ago so please excuse me if I'm wrong) it was uncapable of creating and using invisible COM objects (like MSXML). However, the PB forms can host visual ActiveX controls. What can be easily done is to create a visual control (in VB or MFC, ATL) which would be a wrapper for your functionality (for instance around MSXML). I also remember that controls which worked well in PB 6.5 would crash PB 7 for some reasons. I believe 7 was kind of unstable by itself.

http://www.alexlechuck.com
Thursday, April 08, 2004

I'm considering purchasing a peanut butter-based web server.  Is the upgrade to the chunky version worth it?

Emperor Norton
Friday, April 09, 2004

If you plan on serving dynamic content, chunks is the way to go. It also integrates better with the crunchy and crispy database peanut butter.

man, im funny!
Friday, April 09, 2004

Powerbuilder can wrap a com object that does http.    However, I don't believe that every com object will work with PB.  Your best best bets might be to

0. Look around for a web control guaranted to work with PB
(this guys are going out of business though)

1. Look and see if you can work with iexplorer to do this

2. Look and see if you can adapt a visual basic control -- some of them will work with powerbuilder.

3. Move to a more modern language / environment.

good luck.

Jim Crockett
Saturday, April 10, 2004

You might try posting something on one of the powerbuilder usenet groups.  If you don't have a usenet reader, go to groups.google.com, click on the groups url, and then click on the advanced to search in for *powerbuilder* groups.

searching for web in the powerbuilder usenet would have a search like
web group:*powerbuilder*

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=web&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_ugroup=*powerbuilder*&lr=&hl=en

Jim Crockett
Saturday, April 10, 2004

Thank you Alex and Jim.

I have done it using MSXML3 as OLE object.
But one problem remains. There is no such error
handelling for a wrong URL or If the web server is down. The PB application gets crashed when about cases are evaluated. I am now thinking of clubing the MSXML3 into VB 6.0 COM and using the same.

Rgd's,
Shailendra Bagal.

Shailendra Bagal
Monday, May 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home