Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Write write write!

Joel, why aren't you writing more?  One post in the last 25 days just won't cut it - do you think you're in charge of this little operation here!?

Marcus Leon
Thursday, April 01, 2004

With all my posts in the "Ask Joel" forum I'm spending more time than ever writing, and I'm writing something every day!

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Then stop writing to the forum.

Vladimir Dyuzhev (http://dozen.ru)
Friday, April 02, 2004

Perhaps you should roll-up a "best-of" that gets posted onto your front page too? (And in your xml feed).

I'm thinking something like kottke.org does with movie reviews and plasticbag.org does with links.  Rather than pushing them out to one side they interleave them with their longer posts so that everything sits in context.

There's prime-quality daily Joel that some of us are missing because we don't check the forum everyday.

PS I think it's great when you can answer a question here just by linking to a past article... your old stuff is standing up well, I'm sure that's why we keep coming back.

Tom (a programmer)
Saturday, April 03, 2004

We're still waiting for the asp > php article as well.

James 'Smiler' Farrer
Monday, April 05, 2004

Why keep harping on the translator?  Look at the things that FogBugz does.  I bet you they use a small number of very simple COM components (maybe something for data access, text processing, and filesystem access).  With that out of the way, the problem is just to parse the VBScript code, munge it into a suitable tree format, and then apply a simple set of rules to that tree to express it in PHP syntax (replacing references to any COM components with something you've got on the PHP end to do the work).  Semantically, VBScript and PHP are very similar, so translation can't be particularly difficult.

Kalani
Wednesday, April 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home