Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

.net or vb?

Hi

If you were starting to write CityDesk now would you use C#/VB.net or still use the old visual basic?

Karl Andersen
Friday, March 26, 2004

I haven't thought hard about this.

We would probably evaluate five possibilities:

1) wxWindows / C++ (for portability)
2) Mozilla/XUL (same)
3) C++/MFC (because the VB6 IDE is just too flaky)
4) VB 6
5) C#.Net

I don't know enough about 1 and 2 to have confidence in them so before I went down either path I would spend a month or so stress-testing them.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Friday, March 26, 2004

Wow... CityDesk, using the Composer module of Mozilla to edit articles with instant article preview would be very, very compelling :)

Ben Combee
Friday, March 26, 2004

"because the VB6 IDE is just too flaky"

I hear ya'...

--Josh

JWA
Friday, March 26, 2004

> CityDesk, using the Composer module of Mozilla
> to edit articles with instant article preview
> would be very, very compelling

Would the user experience be better then in the current version? Would it offer more features? Would the development time frame for this specific component be shorter? In what sense would it be compelling?

Alexander Chalucov (www.alexlechuck.com)
Friday, March 26, 2004

XUL is interesting. Aparently there is a XRE, XUL Runtime Engine in the works but I cant seem to find any current info. Anyone?

Eric Debois
Saturday, March 27, 2004

CityDesk built with Mozilla WOULD be compelling since it would work on my computer running MacOS 10.3 as well as any PC or Linux version I might want to use.

Rikard Linde
Sunday, March 28, 2004

In my experience, if you are going to do a GUI in C++, the Qt Toolkit by Trolltech ( http://www.trolltech.com/ ) is the way to go.  It's cross-platform, easy to use, and easy to learn.  It has a good GUI designer and great documentation.  Qt makes GUIs really easy with C++.

Adam Tomjack
Sunday, March 28, 2004

"because the VB6 IDE is just too flaky"

Can anyone elaborate on this?

(I've been using VB 6 for a few years, off and on, and haven't encountered anything that I can remember, but maybe I've become what Alan Cooper calls an "appologist" <g>)

Mr. Analogy
Monday, March 29, 2004

Lately, what I mean by "flaky" is "generally crashes when you break into the debugger while handling a subclassed Windows message."

On different days I mean different things :)

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Monday, March 29, 2004

Has anyone looked at Nvu? It's an open source HTML editor thing, based on Mozilla's composer.  Joel have you ever thought about using Mozilla's composer module as the HTML editor inside Citydesk?

http://www.nvu.com/

Matthew Lock
Monday, March 29, 2004

"CityDesk built with Mozilla WOULD be compelling since it would work on my computer running MacOS 10.3"

Yes, for a start it would mean I no longer had to have virtual PC installed on my iBook just so I could update my website while I was travelling.

That would be a big difference for me, though I realise I'm only one person.

Robert Moir
Wednesday, March 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home